Inkwell

Teens vs. Sleep

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teens vs. Sleep

Teenagers need sleep, and without the proper amount there are many negatives that come as a result.

Teens and sleep: these two things are complete opposites from each other. An average teen should get at least 8-10 hours of sleep daily. Without the right amount this could leave a huge effect on the body.

Some of the results for not getting enough sleep are falling asleep in class or just not being able to concentrate on tests. (Author at) TeensHealth states: “early start times in some schools may also play a role in lack of sleep.” There are some teens who fall asleep after midnight, and if their school starts around 7 or 8 o’clock they’ll hardly get even 7 hours in. This can lead to long-term effects as well. Studies show that with a lack of sleep teens are shown to get poorer grades compared to students who get 8-10 hours of sleep per night.

Another problem that goes along with this issue is the amount of teens falling asleep in class. This number is nearing 25% of high school students fall asleep while at school. Not only does it affect their learning, but it also affects emotions. Feelings of depression can easily take over a teens mind unexpectedly. As we all know, this could lead them down a dangerous path.

This topic is especially important in understanding teens and what would benefit them in and outside of the classroom. With knowing this information, we can get help for teens who are struggling from lack of sleep. Therefore we can send them down the right track to better grades and better athletic achievements as well.