Inkwell

Top 5 Things to Do in NYC During the Holidays

Back to Article
Back to Article

As exemplified by endless movies and TV shows, everyone can see that the holidays are a very enjoyable experience in New York City due to all the shimmering lights and the plentiful activities that happen during the holiday season. Christmas has been my favorite holiday since I was young. I have always loved to go to the city every year to see all the wonderful events. Here, I’m going to share my top 5 favorite things that happen in NYC during the holidays.

1) Rockefeller Christmas Tree Lighting

My all-time favorite exhibit is the Rockefeller tree lighting that happens every year. The tree has around 30,000 lights that is approximately  5 miles worth of lights if stretched apart. The star on top of the tree weighs almost 600 pounds and contains 25,000 crystals. Besides the extravagant tree, there are also many fun activities that you are able to do at the Rockefeller, such as going ice skating, eating at one of the delicious restaurants nearby, or going to the Top of the Rock, the observatory at the Rockefeller center.

2) Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall

The Rockettes is an annual holiday show that is held in Radio City every December. It features a combination of singing and dancing that brings people into the Christmas spirit. In the show, you get to see the famous wooden soldier fall and the new “Christmas Lights” finale. They also have new costumes this year, each in 11 shades of jewel-toned colors that are made of 3,069 Swarovski crystals.

3) Dyker Heights

Dyker Heights lights up during the holiday season. During this time of the year, the streets are lined up with houses each with their own unique and vibrant christmas decorations. One of the popular houses, called the Spata House, is packed with all sorts of holiday objects, such as toy soldiers, Santas, snowmen, nutcrackers, reindeers and angels. It is said that the house contains more than 20,000 lights.

4) Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park

During the Christmas season, Bryant Park turns into a winter wonderland. There are multiple activities to do in the park such as going ice skating or going holiday shopping in one of the 170 shops. The shops range from selling accessories to delicious pastries. There are also frequent music performances and Santa’s corners where you get to take pictures with Santa.

5) Jingle Ball

Jingle Ball is an annual music concert featuring top artists of the year. It is an exciting venue held in Madison Square Garden. The lineup this year featured popular singers, such as Camila Cabello, Cardi B, and Khalid.