The Student Mental Health Crisis

In society today, hundreds of thousands of high school students silently battle mental health issues on a daily basis. With the lack of awareness and countless stigmas that surround mental health, the student mental health crisis in our country persists. In hopes of helping cultivate awareness and understanding of the topic of mental wellbeing, I interviewed Dr. Quinland, FA’s School Psychologist. 

“Teens are under so much pressure and struggling with anxiety and depression,” says Dr. Quinland. “It’s a constant wave and you can’t hide it anywhere…kids are so stressed about achievements and getting into a good college. We worry so much about everything…we feel like we are never good enough. I’m worried for students who never feel that they’re doing enough.”

In order to combat and improve the current student mental health crisis in our country, parents, teachers, and school leaders must acknowledge the effects that school can have on students’ mental wellbeing and respond accordingly. 

“Adults need to rework the system to support our kids to become future leaders,” urges Dr. Quinland. “Here, at FA, we are here to walk you through things. The key is to find adults you can trust who you can talk about your feelings with…who make you feel heard and understood. I encourage students to reach out.”

I absolutely agree with this. No individual who is struggling with their mental health should ever feel ashamed or isolate themselves in embarrassment. Our mental health is just as important as our physical health. The lines of communication between students and their family members and trusted adults at school must remain open. 

Dr. Quinland encourages students to ask themselves whether they are finding comfortable places to talk and are doing the things that they truly enjoy. 

“It’s about having conversations. Are kids finding comfortable places to talk and doing the things that bring them joy? Commit to what is really important to you.  There has to be a balance. Nowadays, for students, it’s all about getting the A, and it’s about getting accepted into the best college. Comparison is hurting everyone.”

Dr. Quinland wants students struggling with their mental health to know that their struggles are not invalid, and they should never feel weak because of them. 

“There is no such thing as weakness,” he says. “Weakness is not trying to help yourself. It’s hard to be a kid nowadays…we work through this. Life is a journey. A progression. Enjoy it.”   

Image copyright of