Peace Week Engagement around Campus

Massimo Di Leo: The Diversity Committee has run for almost thirty years at Friends Academy. They focus on inclusivity and acceptance of all cultures through events such as the one they are hosting this Peace Week known as Family Night. Family Night is an event in which families are invited to join the community for a celebration consisting of a variety of cultural cuisines. In addition to a variety of food options, there are opportunities to engage in both singing and dancing throughout the night. The second way in which the Diversity committee will represent Peace Week is by hosting a query in Meeting for Worship that week. A query is a question presented at the beginning of a meeting to allow those participating to have something that they can reflect on throughout the meeting and if they are compelled, they are welcome to speak on that topic. 

______________________________________________________________________________ 

Sanya Singh: On January 10th, Inkwell got the opportunity to see what other committees were doing for Peace Week. I got the chance to visit Sustainability. The Sustainability Committee is a committee that focuses on educating others about the importance of our environment and what we can do to help it. Peace Week is a time where we reconnect and learn to center ourselves. This makes Sustainability the perfect committee to represent Peace Week and gives it the chance to teach others about their mission. Sustainability will do various activities to educate others about how to use our resources practically every day of next week. During Meeting for Worship on Wednesday the 18th, they will be coming up with a query to spread activism and remind people of the importance of the environment. During this MFW, people will have the opportunity to reflect and share on anything having to do with helping the world. Next week, Sustainability will also be hosting a lunch and learn dedicated to teaching others about recycling and using our resources to help the planet. In addition, they will offer a presentation on the environment. The final program for Peace Week will be an advisory activity where students and teachers will make bird feeders using paper towel rolls. Overall Sustainability will be running a lot of events on Peace Week in order to better educate people about the environment. 

Bryan Bin: With Peace Week upon us, many of the groups at Friends Academy are looking for the opportunity to host various events and activities throughout the week. The WATCH committee, specifically, will be hosting a sports tournament on Friday, January 20th. The goal is not only to bring in a little friendly competition, but also celebrate the idea of courage within our community. In correlation, WATCH is presenting a query to consider for the event: “How have you experienced fear and demonstrated courage when trying something new?” WATCH is a group that is heavily involved and focused on the service and enhancement of the Friends community. The tournament encourages students to venture out of their comfort zones, support teammates, and engage with others at FA. The members and student leaders of WATCH are looking forward to hosting the event and hope for a big turn out.